BETHEL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH:
Nick De Paolo's artfully painted oil piece of the exterior of the historic Bethel Presbyterian Church as it looked in its original white-clapboard appearance prior to 1964 when the church underwent a remodeling that included an added brick façade. De Paolo has been a freelance artist for more than 40 years, was an illustrator with the U.S. Navy, college professor, and currently owner of Long Grove Art School. Bethel Presbyterian Church was established in 1834, and the Reverend Jesse Stalcup built the structure in 1885. Today the church is Bethel Rural Community Organization's community center.
Gary Woolard was chosen in his native Beaufort County to paint the 12 oldest churches in the 12 oldest counties in the state. His rendering of the sanctuary of the 1885 Bethel Presbyterian Church with its striking chestnut bead board is a delicate balance between geometric precision and poetic artistry.
with STUDENTS - 1920s:
Students of Bethel School from the 1920s are posed on the back side of the Bethel School building in a photograph donated to BRCO by Frank and Maxine Sorrells. The photographer captured this portrait prior to the construction of the other two buildings that comprised the historic Bethel School campus.
Dominick De Paolo painted a water-color of the three Bethel School buildings that comprised the heart of Bethel from 1921, 1930s, and 1941 until the 1970s when the structures were dismantled. The three-story center building transferred Bethel students from attendance at Bethel Academy which closed after World War I. Students attended classes on the bottom two floors of the center building while the Masonic/Eastern Star organization occupied the third floor. By the 1930s a gymnasium surrounded by classroom followed, and the classically designed white auditorium/home economics/agricultural classrooms was constructed by the WPA in 1941.
BURTON and LUCINDA MOORE CATHEY HOUSE:
A photograph, owned by Bill and Earlene Holbrook, is of the Burton and Lucinda Moore Cathey House that was located in Cathey Cove until it was dismantled a few years ago. The original portion of the home was built by Dred Blaylock in 1849.
CALVIN FILMORE CHRISTOPHER'S PATENT APPLICATION DRAWING:
La Nae and Jack McCracken own the original 1912 application for patent drawings for the computing scale, precursor of today’s modern market scales and gasoline tank measuring devices, by Calvin Filmore Christopher. The inventor lived in Bethel and is NC’s most prolific inventor. Christopher’s scale invention is the forerunner of scales used all over the world.
CAPTAIN JAMES ALLEN and NANCY LOUISA CATHEY BLAYLOCK HOUSE:
Wanetta Welch created the Blaylock House painting in 1899, owned by Jack and Betty Lackey. The Blaylock House began as an 1835 two-room cabin that continued to be encircled and expanded until 1890 when the house was essentially completed except for third floor tower improvements made in 1996 by owners Jerry and Nancy McFall. The Reverend Jesse Stalcup built the house. Blaylock was a Captain of the 25th NC Infantry Regiment. Intrigue, including lost treasure and murder, followed members of the five generations of Blaylocks who lived in the house.
COLONEL JOSEPH and NANCY HYATT CATHEY HOUSE:
A late 1800s painting by Nettie Vance Penland is of the Colonel Joseph and Nancy Hyatt Cathey House, dated to the mid-1800s. The back of the painting indicates that the Cathey House was one of the first framed houses in Haywood County. Owners are Berry and Rosanna Rigdon.
A painting, dated to the late 1800s, by Nettie Vance Penland of the Cathey Mill is owned by Berry and Roseanna Rigdon. The mill began operation in the 1840s. In addition to his milling duties, Colonel Cathey was a state legislator, farmer, post master, and mercantile operator in the mid-1800s.
A 1965 painting of Inman Chapel by F. Seymore was captured from a photograph given to the artist by the Reverend Hannah Jewett Powell. The Reverend James Anderson Inman built the church which was dedicated in 1902. During her tenure as pastor of the Universalist church (1921-1941) Powell became the first full-time female minister of a Universalist congregation in North Carolina; she initiated numerous social programs in Haywood County.
J. B. RIGDON GENERAL STORE:
The J. B. Rigdon General Store and mill house, originally built by the Plott family in the early 1900s, was a fixture in the heart of Bethel Community until the 1970s when it was dismantled. The painting was commissioned by Ozark folk artist, Granny Chicken, by Winifred R. McNeil and is currently owned by Richard and Evelyn Coltman.
LENOIR'S CREEK FARM:
Award winning artist, Janice Swanger, captured the essence of Lenoir’s Creek Devon, Haywood County’s longest continuing farm (1807) with the county’s longest continuing herd of cattle (mid-1800s when Red Devon cattle were brought to the farm by second owner, Thomas Isaac Lenoir). Her colored pencil painting brilliantly captures all of the historic structures remaining on the farm as well as the large variety of animals.
OSBORNE BOUNDRY OAK:
The painting of Osborne Boundary Oak, Osborne Farm, and the original log cabin beside the tree is loaned to the Historic Preservation Committee by Jackie Stephens, Curator of the Museum of North Carolina Handicrafts in Shelton House. The mid-20th century piece, painted by G.C. Monroe, depicts the tree that was used as a boundary marker in 1792. BRCO and citizens in the community have worked to save the historic tree.
PINGREE PRIESTLY and
CHARITY HASELTINE OSBORNE PLOTT HOUSE:
Jimmie Ellen and Richard Henson own the 1980s drawing by Linda Anders Sizemore of the Victorian-style Pingree Priestly and Charity Haseltine Osborne Plott House. The Reverend Jesse Stalcup built the house in 1867 off of Lake Logan Road on what grew to be a 1,311 acre estate. Plott was a miller and farmer whose wife tended the children, some of whom suffered from tuberculosis.
SUNBURST LOGGING and TRAIL SITE MAP:
Mack Ledbetter’s colored map of Sunburst logging village, one of the largest logging operations in Western North Carolina in the early 20th Century, details the twenty-four logging camps, rail lines, and various buildings and locations that existed from the early 1900s until 1925. A devastating fire burned the village in 1925, and the area was subsequently inundated to become Lake Logan by Champion Paper and Fiber Company in 1932. Lorna Ledbetter Ashe and the Mack Ledbetter family own the map.